Longshore, Stephen – Suddenly of a heart attack on April 15, 2013 in Woodstock, Ontario at the age of 76. Stephen was never married and had no children. He is survived by his two sisters Nancy Longshore Ross of Banff, AB and his twin Susan McLeod (Bud) of Half Moon Bay, BC.  Uncle to Kathy in BC, Jennifer in AB, Stephanie in AB, Greg in ON, Rod in AB, Julie in California, Kevin in the UK and Randy in California. Stephen is also survived by a number of great nephews and nieces and was especially close to his great niece Dana Ross of Innerkip, ON. Stephen was born in Culver City, California to Willard and Norma Longshore on October 3, 1936. In 1948 his father was tasked with some work as an executive in the oil patch in Alberta and thus moved his family to Calgary. Stephen grew up in Calgary and after high school was recalled by the US government to serve 3 years in the US army. He served most of his duty in Italy. Once discharged from the army, Stephen attended the University of British Columbia attaining a degree in philosophy. He landed a job as a broker in Montreal where he worked for a number of years before taking a job with a firm in Toronto. After many years on Bay Street, Steve’s life took a turn and he landed in Woodstock, Ontario. There he turned his lifelong passion for collecting first edition books into a career as an Antiquarian Bookseller (Adjala Bookshop). Stephen sold thousands of books to buyers from many countries throughout the world. Stephen had a lifelong passion for golf and played often until failing health prevented him from doing so. From his nephew Greg Ross: The two things that stand out in my time with Steve are our annual maple syrup “Sugaring Off” gatherings with friends and family (some of you were there!) and Steve re-introducing me to golf, which I hadn’t played in 5 years. Our first time out on the course I shot 130 and Steve in the mid 90’s.  I had been beaten soundly. The next time out we bet a buck a hole (as we continued to do forever) and ended up very close in score, but he won. After the round and thinking he should have taken me for much more money than he had, he slyly looked at me and said “I think you tried to shark me.”  I had not. Stephen continued to beat me on the golf course more often than not for the rest of our golf days together (the usual orders were: be there at 6 am, while the dew is on and the course is ours). He was right. Gathering the maple sap was arduous. Steve typically had 20+ buckets hanging throughout the property which we would dutifully go out and drain into various 5 gallon containers. This sap was then poured into a turn of the century cauldron, suspended by a homemade tripod of Steve’s making, over an open wood fire. The cauldron required much skimming of airborne ash from the fire. I would watch Steve skim the pot and revel in his quiet delight as his invited guests enjoyed all of it. All guests went home with a small jar of Stephen’s maple syrup. Cremation has taken place. Friends will be received at the SMITH-LeROY FUNERAL HOME, 69 Wellington Street North, Woodstock on Friday, April 19, 2013 from 7-9 pm. If desired, memorial donations to the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario would be appreciated. www.smithleroy.com

For more information about this obituary visit http://www.smithleroy.com.

Filed Under: Toronto, Woodstock